Monday, January 16, 2006Augmentaion mammaplasty or more commonly known as breast augmentation, breast enlargement, breast lift, and boob job is a very popular cosmetic plastic surgery procedure which entails the use of breast implants.
A breast implant is a prosthesis used in cosmetic surgery to enlarge the size of a woman's breasts (known as breast augmentation), or to reconstruct the breast (after mastectomy or removal of breast due to breast cancer). It is a silicone shell filled with either silicone gel or saline
Types of breast implants:
- Silicone gel-filled
- No contraindications. Anyone can have this.
- Peri-Areolar - a semicircular incision around the lower half of the areola.
- Infra-Mammary - a transverse incision following the line of the infra-mammary fold.
- Axillary - an incision in the axilla (armpit) with a tunnel made through to the breast.
- The infra-mammary incision is one widely used by surgeons because of minimal scarring and the scar is concealed.
- Infection. This is most common within a week after surgery. The infection can be treated with antibiotics or, in severe cases, the implant is removed for several months until the infection is gone and then a new implant is inserted.
- Capsular contracture. This occurs if the scar or capsule around the implant begins to tighten. Treatment can involve either the removal or "scoring" of the scar tissue, or the removal or replacement of the implant.
- Oversensitivity, undersensitivity and/or small patches of numbness near the incisions may occur in some patients. The symptoms usually disappear within time, but may be permanent in some patients.
- Leaking or rupturing of silicone and gel implants. This can occur as a result of an injury or even from the normal compression and movement of the breast and implant.
It is usually an out-patient procedure and can be done in less than 2 hours under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation.
Cost here in the Philippines:
60,000 to 200,000+ pesos
depending on the type and brand of implant
Back: Plastic Surgery
You may be interested in: Noselift, Botox, Liposuction, Eyebag Removal